Monday, August 17, 2009

Estelle update!

In my very first update just 6 weeks after I arrived in Burkina Faso I talked about little Estelle. Finally a long awaited update on her…

In my update I misspoke and said that Estelle was two years old- she actually just turned two in May though! I haven’t had as much time with the babies lately as I’d like as I’m working on various projects before I leave. Right around the time Brittany left in June though, I started hearing my name being shouted from the baby play area. Tebnoma, Joseph, and Ibra had already been saying my name for awhile (“Eli tha bet” sort of all slurred funny- they like “Eliza” better). At this time though, it was Estelle!! Brittany had been working with all of the toddlers in a morning ½ hour sort of preschool and the other three had caught on VERY quickly and were speaking a lot. Estelle though, had not. But then she started saying my name!! It was incredibly exciting, especially when the first name she said was Tantie (for the women that work with the kids).

She’s starting to say more words now and has this great laugh when she’s tickled or happy. I’ve found that the more I clap and encourage when she does something we want her to do, the more she is determined to do more. Also a month or two ago she was working really hard on standing. A few points she showed me that she can stand without grabbing on to something. We still worked with her on walking and she has her stubborn days when she could care less.

Yesterday though, I went into the toddler room to greet them all and was shaking their hands when I looked up to see Estelle take two steps towards me!!! I yelled with excitement and she just grinned. A few minutes later she pulled herself up and walks 4 or 5 steps to me! I was (and am) SO excited. She laughed with joy as I tickled her and said good job over and over. Even cuter was that I told the other toddlers to say Bravo Estelle! and clap, and they did. I have been praying that she’d walk before I left and she did! She has come SO far. I'll put a video of her on here soon.

Another prayer request related to her though… Her mother recently had another baby… A little boy… There were a lot of issues with the man who got her pregnant and him taking responsibility for her and his child. He finally did but she is very irresponsible and has a tendancy to lie often. She was recently kicked out of his family’s courtyard and has come to us to get help again. She refuses to sign papers for Estelle to be adopted, but she is in no place to care for herself let alone two children… Please pray for her mother and that things can be worked out soon. As great as this orphanage is, it is not good for children to grow up without parents…







No comments: