Banfora was absolutely gorgeous- so green!! We had one very full day of visiting three different spots in the outskirts of Banfora. We first went to Tengrela Lake- it is known for its hippos (were lucky enough to have one hippo spotting!). We then spent most of the day at a waterfall climbing, swimming (safe to swim in the moving water!), and eating our African lunch of baguettes with sardines and veggies (which we forgot a knife to cut up :) ) and fruit. Finally, we went to the “Domes” which were absolutely beautiful rock formations. We were able to climb them and look over the incredible green scenery of palm trees and sugar cane fields.
Bobo was more of a city setting (was the previous capital of Burkina Faso) so we toured the city a bit and did a day outside of the city (looking for a lake we never found, but had an awesome village experience instead). We also spent New Year’s in Bobo. We were all a bit tired so were not going to do anything special, but there was a church behind our guesthouse that we ended up going to at about 11pm. I am SO glad that we did because it was an awesome experience. As I sat there singing with everyone, and then at midnight dancing and singing through the church, I realized what an incredible thing it was that I was in Africa celebrating the new year with my African brothers and sisters in Christ! A young girl grabbed my hand as we danced, and I was just overwhelmed by the idea of us being able to celebrate the beginning of a new year in this way.

Hippo!
On Tengrela Lake!

The Waterfall
The Domes 

New Year's Eve

Looking for the Lake!
So now I’m back in Ouaga, rested up a bit, and am heading back to Yako tomorrow to get back into things. I really do miss the kids- even after just two weeks! Thank you everyone for your prayers for our trip- we really felt them and knew that God was looking out for us on many occasions!!
I pray you all had a fantastic new year celebration and are now able to begin the year ahead with a renewed vision and excitement! I learned here what it means to truly be thankful for another year- it really is a blessing here to live another year with the life expectancy so low and death rate for babies so high. Another year is quite a thing to celebrate!
A servant for Him,
~Liz



2 comments:
What awesome pictures Liz!! :) I love hearing about all the amazing experiences you are having!!
Elizabeth! We are so enjoying your missives and your fabulous photos. Living vicariously through your experiences is an experience in itself for all of us. We are so pleased to know you are continuing in good health these days and in remarkable spirits. Know you remain in our prayers and we think of you often. Love and many hugs, Jessica, Tim, Ott & Harmony
Post a Comment