Sunday, November 16, 2008

Chicken dinner

So this morning (Friday) I was literally ready to learn how to kill a chicken- ok, no, a rooster. It wasn’t for survival needs because I was starving, but for the need of SILENCE.

This rooster friend of mine decided that with the Muslim call to prayer at 4:15/4:30 this morning, he would alert us of the fact that it was morning. Only, it WASN’T morning. And he decided that the ideal place to announce this would be under my window. Did I mention that he sounded very sickly and had a sort of two-tone call that rattles the bones?

I was ready to march downstairs to either learn the art of killing dinner, or having a little chat with this bird.

“Now, is it really that you are this confused about what time of day it is and your duties to wake us at SUN-UP, or is it that you just want to annoy the white visitors who stare at you funny as you walk down the street or when you interrupt their French lessons with your crowing in the middle of the day?”

Needless to say, the morning doves decided to join in right after the rooster’s 45 minute wake-up call, the Muslim “Sabbath” is on Fridays so the call to prayer seemed much louder and longer, and I got a very SHORT night of sleep thanks to my blind and sick rooster neighbor.

A servant for Him,
~Liz

3 comments:

Becka said...

The very first thing I noticed on my trip to Ecuador is that foreign roosters have never read American children's books and therefore do not realize that they should only crow in the morning.

Unknown said...

Liz,

We received a number, huge box, full of crocheted blankets and hats. Does the orphanage have a need for these items? I am unsure of weather there....

God Bless You, and your little rooster too.

Meredith

Kathleen said...

Liz,
Glad to hear you're doing well in Burkina Faso (time-deficient roosters not withstanding) I enjoy the updates! God bless!