Wednesday, October 15, 2008

I'm leavin on a jet plane...

Great news!!

First of all, thank you SO much to those of you who attended my fundraiser and for those interested in how it went. We raised about $1100 towards my year in Africa!! Wow!! It was an incredible turnout and we are so blessed by the many people who came out to support me.

And now, the very important news... Below is my final update that I sent via email- sorry if it is a repeat for those of you who received it :)

I now have an official departure date of Oct 19! Less than one week away! I really can't get over it, and am definitely feeling a huge range of emotions in this time- excited, happy, overwhelmed, sad, etc. Also, VERY exciting news.. I just found out that I have basically reached my original goal for support-raising in the funds received and in the monthly promised gifts of friends and family. God is SO awesome and has provided more than I could have asked or imagined. Any remaining funds raised will be put towards the (I'm sure!) unexpected costs that I'll come across while there (a conference for missionaries in January, any travel costs, raised expenses while there, fluctuation in the value of the dollar, increased flight and other travel costs, etc) and needs for the orphanage!! It is so exciting to think that I might even be able to give to a project or some area of need in the orphanage as well.
Despite all these exciting things, I have, as I said, been feeling a sort of emotional rollarcoaster with many goodbyes. I was told by Ruth, the woman who runs Sheltering Wings, that I need to be saying "A Bientot" (French for "See you later") instead of "goodbye." I'll hopefully be able to email you when I arrive in Burkina to let you know I made it. I'll be arriving Oct 20, about 4:00 Michigan time (8pm Burkina). Soo your prayers are very much appreciated in this time. Specific prayer requests at this point are:

-That I'll be able to spend quality time (un-stressed) with family and friends
-That I'll remember everything that I'll need to bring as it feels right now like I'll forget everything important
-That the flight and customs (having the extra donations for the orphanage that I'll be bringing) will go smoothly and that I'll have the strength, health, and energy for the busyness and emotions I'll be experiencing
-That I'll be caught up on sleep and my health good (I'm sick right now!) before leaving
-That adjustments when I arrive will go smoothly
-That God would be before me in this coming year, preparing the right place(s) for me
Thank you SO much for your continued support and prayers and for getting me to this place!! I could definitely never have done it without the support of all of you. God is so good and faithful and I have been blessed in this time.

Please be sure to email me with any of your prayer requests. I'd love updates and I KNOW I'll enjoy getting emails and real mail occasionally too! I'll post my mailing address on the blog. I apologize again, in advance if I am unable to answer your emails as quickly as I'd like- I still do not really know what sort of access I'll have, though it sounds like a couple times a month I'll be able to check email.
May God continue to bless you!!
In His service,
A Bientot,


A servant for Him,
~Liz

No comments: